Thursday, September 9, 2010

A Bit of Repair Work for a Friend...........

My friend Patsy owns my piece titled "The Red Chair". I made it way back in 2001 and as you can see it's in my older style - all wood and much more colorful. She said the man's hat was missing after a recent move to North Carolina. She sent the piece to me and I carved, painted and attached a new hat. I also had a chance to shoot a few movies of it in action.

The hat I carved, on the end of my favorite X-acto knife. (For the past 15 years or so, I've been doing the majority of my carving with this knife. It's easy to spot on my cluttered work table because it's green!)



I wanted to make a simple crank, which ended up not so simple. I had to add the yellow slider piece to keep the red connecting rod at the same angle all the time or the mechanism would lock up.






Closer view showing the chunky gears and how they mesh.






For scale -the man is exactly 3" tall.




Back to working on the piano piece tomorrow - I'm building out/embellishing the piano.....

No comments:

Post a Comment