Tuesday, February 18, 2014

"Makeshift" - 2014

As I love to work with found objects, and after completing a very complex mechanical piece, I wanted to do a simpler non-mechanical "fun" piece. Yes, fun. It's not often that I get to work spontaneously. Usually my mechanical pieces take a lot of planning, engineering and brainwork. This piece has some of that, but it's much more enjoyable to put things together when the parameters are looser. I had a rough idea of what I wanted the vehicle to be, but things were able to change as I went along. Most changes were hinged on what found objects I had on hand. I just went to my stash and made it work. I hope you like it.

It measures 18" x 19" x 8".

The wheels do roll but that's not the point. And instead of pointing the cannon straight ahead, I turned it  about 5 degrees, which moved his whole body from a straight on pose to a more dynamic one. He is a bit off kilter, tipping to his right, leaning on one leg.

I started with the cannon and played with a million different variations and combinations of parts, wheels, and boxes.

I really like this shot - it shows his determination.

I find it interesting that some of the parts I used have been sitting around my studio for years, and some, like this screw clampy thing, I found at a flea market a day before I added it to the mix.

He has his makeshift helmet on - ready for battle.

This ornament came off a butter dish that I cut down and put on the front of the vehicle.

The curved front and back pieces are actually a tin I cut in half. The shape and patina reminded me of a civil war-era boat.

Many screws and nails add to the detail. The aforementioned butter dish on the right.

You can see he's just barely hanging on the back. He was going to be standing on another box, but it hid the curved part of the base. I like that he just fits here.

In progress pics........................

Figuring out what this piece will be - so many found objects, so many possibilities......
Starting out I knew I wanted to use the cannon part, and for him to be on a wheeled vehicle of some kind.

Carving the hands from basswood.

Figuring out this arms. His hands were done - as well as his torso, legs, and shoes. Now to connect his body to his hands.

Lots of trial and error, but I think I got it.

Afterwards, the arms are carved - and glued to the hands.

Here I'm covering the base with small pieces of tin, using many tiny nails.

Wheels are added. The other section, with the cannon, will be added on top of this.

Thanks for looking,


No comments:

Post a Comment