Thursday, August 26, 2010

New piece - "Undaunted" 2010

I had this idea of mounting an electric motor on the back of a figure for a while now- and I'm pretty happy with the results. The motor dictated the size of the figure which is larger than my "standard" size figure. The piece measures 9 1/2" x 19" x 9 1/2" and the propeller is powered by a 2o RPM motor. Click on images for a larger view.


Front view.


His power pack, complete with hand-carved propeller. I had to engineer the "backpack" in a way so the motor could be easily replaced (someday) if needed. Two screws hold everything together and the small round tin holds the wires which are connected with small wire nuts.


I did some preliminary carving on the legs and shoes, then cut them in half lengthwise in order to place the reinforcing rods and wires inside. You can see the legs are made with a half lap joint.


The wire runs alongside the 3/16" rod. I used CA glue to hold the rod and wire and wood glue on the wood surfaces.


The legs reassembled, ready for more carving.


The body and "backpack" in progress - you can see how the motor is placed here.


Carved hands ready to be attached to the arms and then painted.


The hands holding the controls.


The head before paint.
I really tried to push the caricature aspect of his face and when Paula said, "he looks French", I knew I accomplished what I was hoping for.


His head after painting and aging.


The figure, ready to be dressed.


This back view shows how his arms were glued into place before his shirt is sewn up. I had 4 mounting holes for the "backpack". Here you can see the wires that come up his legs, go through his torso and come out his back.


Each layer of fabric was cut away to reveal the mounting holes for the "backpack".


My table while working on the backpack part of "Undaunted" - you can see my drawing of the piece underneath.


The motor cover - in progress.


The motor cover before antiquing. I took a while to drill all the tiny holes and fish the ends of the screen through but I couldn't see any other way to do it.


The "backpack" ready to be place on the figure's back and finished. Four "hoses" were added in final assembly.


The "backpack" all assembled.


Detail shot of the shoes. In the past I've always painted on the laces- these are a little more work but I think it's worth it.


View of deck and shoes. Soon I will post a step by step of how I made and finished the deck.


Video of "Undaunted"....
video

Monday, August 9, 2010

"Ovation" - Phase 2

More pics from my latest commission. I'm ready to put it all together except an integral part is on back order - the sound/applause component won't be in the studio until the end of August. I set this aside and started working on more pieces for my Obsolete show. Pics of that to follow soon......

The stage is finished and painted.


The curtain, made from thin plywood - painted and aged.


The curtain inserted into lid. It's not attached to the hinges yet, of course.


Two tiny arms, ready for assembly.


One of the smallest set of fully-carved hands I've ever done.


The performers body, pre-assembly. The dress is put on and the arms and head are glued in position. Finally the back of the dress is hand-sewn closed.


The figure ready to be placed on stage. Bravo!


Her head up close.


I will post final pics when I get it all together, and also a video of how it works.